What comparison does to you and your life:
- It sets you up for failure.
- It is the path to unhappiness.
- It makes you take poor decisions.
- It creates stress, anxiety and depression.
- It makes you feel jealous, inadequate and inferior.
1. You see the result, not the effort.
- Comparing your beginning to their end result, ignoring months/years of their effort is not right.
- To achieve success, one has to walk the road to success.
- Don't jump to the end and make comparison to those who have arrived.
2. You are not them.
- Comparing means you compare what you see in others to what you know about yourself.
- Things always look better from the outside than from the inside.
- You have no real idea about how they feel inside.
3. You are unique
- You are not the person you compare yourself to. Everyone has different strengths and weaknesses.
- Celebrate who you are. We are all special in our unique ways.
- By comparing, you are trying to put off things that make you special.
4. You waste time
- Comparing yourself to others consume time. Your time is limited.
- Stop worrying about what others have.
- Work on improving yourself.
5. Life is not graded on a curve
- What others have done will make no difference in what you have, can or will achieve.
- Your goal should be 'be the best you can be'.
6. You kill the joy of achievement
- When you attempt new things, there is a joy that comes from your accomplishments, even the small ones.
- Let's say you start jogging.
If you compare yourself to a person who runs marathon on day 1, you will always be behind.
7. You put focus on the wrong person
- When you compare yourself to others, you focus on the other person - what they have done, what they have achieved, and what they do.
- You have no control over the other person.